Flambeau High School

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cards :)

Well I found this interesting because I work at a gift store and I organized the card section, I just never really looked into it. At least until this assignment...At the age of 20 or 21, the cards ranged from the "Party it up" theme, to "Oh look you're another year older", and to the "Sincere and full of wisdom" theme. The cards for the young adulthood seemed to be influential and wisdom, with minimal humor. I think that's because people are trying to inspire you to make a good life for yourself. It's a way of passing their wisdom on.

Then the odd part came, as I searched through the 40's-70's, even 80's they were seemingly funny. It's always "Over The Hill", or joking about dying, or visits to the doctors (colonoscopy), and we've all heard the saggy boobs joke. I feel it's because as you become older humor is more important, and you're an elder. Giving a card full of wisdom to a person who is 80 years old really doesn't seem logical, they have been on Earth for 80 years, I have a slight feeling they know more than a majority of us. Like Piaget's idea of schemas, at the ripe age of 80 people have already developed almost all schemas possible.

All in all, becoming old isn't such a bad thing. especially is I have some good cards to read. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment