Flambeau High School

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Oh Psychology!

When I first started psychology, I could barely remember how to spell psychology. Maybe it was because I thought it was just going to be another class that didn't make sense, or just a waste of my time. But throughout the lessons I have learned that pyschology isn't just a word, and definatly not just another class. It has so many components that go along with it! Our first chapter wasn't to interesting, don't get me wrong, structuralism may be exciting but I like functionalism a lot more. It's more logical, because everyone is different, no matter what test they are given.

In the second chapter, "Thinking Critically With Psychology Science", I found out that I am in love with hindsight bias. I found myself using hindsight bias yesterday. My boyfriend and I went to go check trail cameras, well he shut off the wheeler, we fed the deer etc. etc., and when we went to go back to the wheeler it didn't turn on. I knew it! If he just would've left the wheeler on we wouldn't have been in that situation! I stopped myself and realized that I was just using psychology. My boyfriend didn't understand why I was so excited. But as usual, he's not cool because he doesn't get psychology...loser. :)
Oh! I also realized that my 7th grade science has stuck with me throughout the years, because I still remember the whole series of steps to create a theory. Thank you Mrs.Connie Gasior.

On to chapter four! This was by far my most favorite chapter because Nature-Nurture is a great topic for discussion. I believe my parents have had a major role in my life. As I've said before, I've been raised with rules and consequences. & so far I've turned out alright. My parents have also raised me with an open mind. Everything is open to discussion in my house, all the way from A to Z. That has enabled me to be completely open and honest with my parents because I know they will understand or at least try to understand. I believe enviroments play a huge role in development too. For instance, my middle sister Lacey put herself in a bad enviroment. Not only the people around her but the places she lived brought her down to a level so low she is now sitting in the Rusk Co. jail. Yes, her free will has played a role too, but the people she was around didn't help her at all either. She was always the rule breaker along with compulsive lying. You could have video of her stealing and she would still deny it. My parents tried everything with her but once Lacey turned 18 she didn't give a rats buttox. So now, she is a pregnant criminal in jail, this nature-nurture will show through as the kid grows up. Will it show traits like Lacey? Or will it be a true innocent and good person?
 I also found gender roles interesting. I totally agree with the male role, they're always thinking with the wrong brain, and are always seeking reproduction because the reproduction process benefits them. Men don't get pregnant, get stretch marks, gain weight, have mixed emotions, and don't have to deal with the pain of labor. The only thing they have to deal with is the deadly mood swings. It may sound sexest but it also sounds true. :)
Now time for some questions from Morgan. My first one would be:

1.Do you believe that parents played a role in who you are today? If so why, or why not?

2. How has your culture effected your beliefs and ways of life?

3.Can you explain molecular genetics in a way I can understand?

 Morgans Poem
Psychology!
What a word!
Scream it off roof tops
Doo-bops-dee-bops
Are you nurtured or natured?
Female or male?
White or black, slap ya' on the back.
Were all human-beings full of diversity.
Our parents donated 23-23
So come sing along, because we love psychology.

No comments:

Post a Comment